Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Uhmmm, no, I think I'll stay home today

It was wet and slushy when I drove home last night, but stopped shortly after I got home. Then, this morning I woke up to snow, more snow, lots more. It sounds like we're getting at least a foot of snow out of this storm so, yes, I think I'll stay home today. Mostly because I hate brushing snow off my car.

So, instead of a needed trek to WalMart, I'm camping out in the kitchen today.

First, I boiled and pureed some potatoes. They will be used for potato bread, and there's enough for two batches.

Then, I cut two big butternut squash (squashes?) in half and those are baking. Those golden beauties will become soup at some point in the next few weeks.

Now, I have a batch of bread raising. Today's experiment is Whole Wheat Walnut and Molasses bread.

When the bread is in the oven, I'll start on the wild rice pilaf.

And, of course, it's time for another batch of breakfast beans. But, since I didn't get out to the little Mediterranean grocery today, I'm making do with Pintos.

Finally, I think I'm going to call the neighbors and see if their son will snow blow our sidewalks. I'm going to be knackered by the time I get all that done!

1 comment:

Kim said...

for future butternut squash... roast them with carrots, red potatoes, red onions and garlic... w/olive oil and some sea salt... about an hour or so at 400 or so...till they're just getting tender/carmelized. take them out and puree them with water... about 4 cups water to each pan of veggies... (one squash, 3 lbs. or so of potatoes, 2 lbs. of onions, one pound carrots, 4-6 cloves garlic(each veggie into 1" chunks, except for garlic... sliced)... makes 2 shallow pans of veggies. pureed with water makes yummy soup!or eat plain, or put on pizza dough with some sort of cheese...

and, SNOW???? I was sad about clouds. guess I'll get over it.
blessings, kim