Friday, March 12, 2010

Genius!

Since it's St. Patrick's Day - or almost - every grocery store in the country seems to have green cabbage on sale at obscenely low prices. I practiced a little bit of self-restraint and satisfied myself with one green globe of the seasonal treat.

Then Stuart had to go and say something about sauerkraut and mushroom soup. Well, I just couldn't do that to perfectly good, green, fresh cabbage. But I did recall a jar of dried mushrooms I had in the pantry. So they went to soaking while the cabbage was cooking in broth. They look and smell very nice, though I have no idea what varieties are contained therein.

Then the stroke of genius hit me. Those lovely mushrooms deserved something a bit better than chicken broth and cabbage, my normal simple soup. Out came the Flavor Bible. Garlic, Coriander Seed, Tarragon and Bay Leaf -- ooooh, hmmmm.

Can't wait until it's done simmering.

1 comment:

Lydia McGrew said...

Most members of my family are anti-cabbage. We had a debate at supper this evening--apropos of the St. Patrick's Day feast at church tomorrow--about whether I would be able to tell the difference between corned beef cooked with cabbage and corned beef cooked without cabbage. I tried to be modest: Said I wouldn't bet my life on being able to do it but think I could.