Saturday, August 21, 2010

Your not so humble correspondent sings her own praises . . .

You all know by now that I have strong opinions. You may not be easily convinced though, when I tell you I am usually willing to be proven wrong. Today, however, my aim is to show my single gentlemen readers what they are missing in a wife by not pursuing moi (she blushes coily).

It's still hot today, but the kitchen was reasonably cool and the nights are cooling and this always triggers a nesting reaction in me. I've never really had spring fever, except around the time of my birthday, I usually do go out in search of some new makeup. However, I have always, as long as I can remember, gotten horrible fall fever. The moment you can feel that tinge in the air, I start craving days cool enough to wear a sweater and I start paging through my cook books. I begin to bake bread again (something which summer heat usually deters) and experimenting with soups and stews. I start nesting in a bad way. But the achy-est part is not having someone who appreciates my culinary endeavours.

Today I again experimented with my favorite cookbook, The Flavor Bible and came up with three gems:

Shrimp poached in a sauce of butter/olive oil, orange juice, fresh Thyme and Capers

Flageolet Beans with Thyme, Garlic, lemon juice and olive oil

Greek Yogurt sauce with sauteed red peppers

Later on, I think I may have to bake a loaf of bread and there is some fresh fennel and spinach which both require something like steaming or sauteing - haven't decided yet. I might even throw caution to the wind and put them together in something magical.

3 comments:

Annette M. Heidmann said...

Oh golly, yummmm to every bit of it!! Keep on posting like this and they will be setting up jousting tournaments to vie for your hand...

Kamilla said...

Hi Annette,

Thanks!

What's really fun is baking your own pita bread at home. It's super easy, but I need a bigger baking stone.

Tomorrow I'm going to post something on FB and here - a poll about what to do with the new sauce I bought. I thought I'd better buy it first and make sure I like it before I go to the labor of preserving my own lemons, right?

Anonymous said...

Brave Lass,

I am new to your blog, and I'm loving it! I actually appreciate your willingness to speak your mind regardless of what others might say. Please, keep-up the good work!

BTW, your gormet meals are making my mouth water. :)

-Lady Rose