Friday, August 5, 2011

It's worse than that . . .

Sign #479 that the Apocalypse is near and the world as we know it is ending:

Just a few moments ago, I entered the Solid Grounds coffee shop and waited for the coffee mistress to finish emptying the trash before I ordered my tea.  No, that is not the sign.  The sign is that, when she reached for the cup in which she would pour my iced tea, I said, "Unh, Unh, Unh!"  The look she gave me appeared to be a combination of, "What's the problem?" and "What's your problem?"  So I explained, "You've just handled trash, wash your hands."  Which is really more of a demand than an explanation, but not an unreasonable demand. 

She argued back, "I only touched the outside!" and shook her head in consternation. 

At this point, recognizing the SURE SIGN of the Apocalypse, I put my money back in my purse and walked out.

1 comment:

Steve Martin said...

I understand her befuddlement.

Whenever I empty the trash, I only touch the outside, as well. I haven't had to wash my hands in 6 weeks.

If I were an actual dentist and not a dental assistant, I would have washed them a month ago.