Friday, January 6, 2012

On the Feast of the Epiphany

I've seen a meme that seems to be gaining traction in the twitterverse.  Instead of making a boatload of New Year's Resolutions that last all of three hours, choose one word.  Instead of buckshot, it's more like a sniper approach.  One word makes one theme to guide your year.  It provides focus and clarity, a foundation instead of sixteen rooms with nothing holding them up. (how's that for a bouquet of metaphors?)

I have thought about this off and on since I started hearing about it between Christmas and New Year.  But every word I came up with seemed as if it was someone else's word.  And then this morning, I had my own personal epiphany.  In an uncertain place where I seem to be facing a mid-life career change and having spent a year arguing with God about that, about how I thought my life would look and how I was so very wrong about it all, I found peace.  I realized that whatever I end up doing to keep a roof over my head and beans in the crock pot, I've known for a very, very long time what my vocation was.

That's the word: vocation

And here's a website to help you: My One Word

No comments: