Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blue Like Jazz: A View from the Outside

I have long believed that the Progressive/Emergent crowd trade on a bad caricature of Evangelical/Reformed Protestantism in order to dismiss it.  Straw man central, don't light that match.  Tonight, it was especially gratifying to see that opinion confirmed by a Catholic who knows her stuff.  Barbara Nicolosi knows the business of script writing and movie-making better than most. Nicolosi is the founder of Act One a program dedicated to helping Christians master the craft of storytelling in order to pursue careers in the mainstream of the entertainment industry.

Tonight on Facebook, she posted the following comments about Blue Like Jazz :

So, I walked out of Blue Like Jazz before the midpoint. It wasn't my thing. (My thing being mastery of craft united to an unusual quality of depth.) If I had to sum up what I saw of the movie I would say it is about a caricature of Christianity who encounters caricatures of secularism, and they both offer each other banality which everybody on screen seems to think is profound and presumably eventually leads to a catharsis. 

I am not going to watch any more of these movies coming out of the Christian sub-culture. It's not what I do.


 P.S. Why do some Protestants get off so much on ripping other Protestants?

And P.P.S. Uh, writer. Do your damn homework. Catholics don't use packaged
 plastic communion cups at Mass. Good grief.




Nice to know I'm not the only one who's been seeing the caricatures.


I think you can follow the conversation here on Facebook.



2 comments:

pentamom said...

No, seriously, plastic communion cups in a Catholic church??????

Okay, I've been to a Catholic mass exactly twice -- I was about six at the first one. EVEN I KNOW THIS AND NO ONE IS PAYING ME TO GET IT RIGHT.

I can't blame her reaction of saying she'll never go to another movie that comes out of the Christian subculture, but let's hope we give her something to regret. I realize "coming out of the Christian subculture" isn't necessarily the most desirable way to make movies, but it is GOING to happen and since it is going to happen, I'd prefer to be optimistic enough to expect that the quality will increase.

Anonymous said...

Criticize by creating